You are here:
Home > Businesses > Programs and Seminars
Have a Question or Comment? Let us know!
Business recycling programs and seminars
Several times throughout the year, the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District offers free recycling and waste reduction seminars for businesses, schools, and organizations.
"Waste & Recycling $ense for Your Workplace" seminars
Businesses will learn how to recycle at work, and save money by doing it.
||Wednesday, June 24 -or- Thursday, September 24
||Solid Waste District, 4750 East 131 Street, Garfield Heights
||Session 1: Successful Recycling in your Workplace -- 3:30-5:00 p.m.
How to start a workplace recycling program or improve the one you currently have
Session 2: Contracting for Waste & Recycling Services -- 5:00-6:30 p.m.
How to contract for waste and recycling services, provides information on contract terms and conditions of contracts, and ways to construct contracts to best suit your business
||Register here for June 24
Register here for September 24
Registration is required, seating is limited. Multiple attendees must be registered individually. If you experience problems with the registration process, call Doreen at (216) 443-3732. (flyer PDF)
Waste & Recycling $ense for Business is comprised of two sessions. Both sessions are taught by the District's Business Recycling Speciaist.
Successful Recycling in your Workplace
District staff will discuss how to start a recycling program or improve the one you currently have. Learn about the different recyclable commodities, commercial composting, waste haulers and specialty recycling companies, performing a "dumpster dive" or waste sort and how to analyze the results, choosing the proper indoor recycling containers and signage for them, choosing a waste hauling and recycling company, educating employees/students/visitors on the program, changing recycling behaviors, marketing your recycling program, and how to make your recycling program sustainable.
Contracting for Waste & Recycling Services
District staff will discuss the terms and conditions of the contracts, types of contracts, fees, and how to structure an agreement to best suit your business.
Who should attend?
Businesses and non-profits who are interested in beginning or improving upon their recycling program or need contracting assistance.
What are attendees saying about the program?
Eighty-five businesses attended our workplace recycling and contracting seminars in 2014. Public venues, hotel chains, manufacturing facilities, universities, schools, national parks, places of worship, non-profits, city and local government, property management and real estate development firms, hospitals, small businesses and start-ups were among the many businesses who took advantage of the opportunity to start or improve their recycling programs and learn about contracting for waste and recycling services. Some of our recent feedback includes the following comments:
- “There was a wealth of information for both business or home.” – flooring company employee
- “A lot of great information and well-educated presenters.” – uniform company employee
- "I learned about the necessity of good signage and convenience.” – newspaper employee
- “There was a lot of great information and perspective.” – design company owner
- “I had no idea how many different types of recyclables there were. It’s gotten me excited to further our program!” – aviation employee
- “The presentation was very informative.” – county employee
- “The presentation exceeded my expectations. I learned a lot.” – employee of a non-profit
- “The contract presentation was extremely informative and thorough.” – hospital employee
- “I wanted to come in and learn something new about recycling practices. Mission accomplished!” – city employee
For more information, contact the District's Business Recycling Specialist Doreen Schreiber at (216) 443-3732 or firstname.lastname@example.org